American Shakespeare Center
Audience Journey, Groundplan Website and Tech Integrations
Nestled in the Shendandoah Valley, American Shakespeare Center is “Shakespeare’s American Home” – a destination for traditional staging conditions presented year round in four seasons, touring shows, educational programs, and scholarship featuring the bi-annual global Blackfriar’s Conference.
ASC came to us with a big operation and a big problem – a website that both didn’t represent their international reputation. The old website strained under the pressure of communicating a busy event calendar and a vast amount of content and programming to a national tourism-driven audience in order to support numerous revenue and audience engagement streams.
We started our engagement with interviews across their organization, generating a strategic audience journey which mapped out the motivations, needs, and buying workflows of critical audiences from tourist single ticket buyers new to Shakespeare, to respected scholars and their students, to presenting venues across the country. The insights of this strategy led to numerous usability enhancements for the new site, which were implemented with a few customizations of Groundplan Pro’s flexible event calendars:
- A “Plan Your Visit” widget to help tourists plan a full weekend of cultural events quickly and easily.
- A “Microsite” system to allow the staff to easily present information to engage target audiences, such as educators and conference attendees, without over-complicating navigation for the single ticket buyer.
- Signup forms to automate the process of collecting contact information for educators interested in a specific program – such as corporate training or Theatre Camp. By connecting signups directly with ASC’s customer records on PatronManager, ASC can more easily automate personalized customer service and follow-up to simplify the process of tour bookings, group sales, and education program engagement.
- A Shopify-powered gift shop makes merchandise fulfillment easy and combines purchases with attendance in the customer history to help ASC identify their brand ambassadors.
- Artist information management made it easy to roll out landing pages for each performer so fans can have deep browsing experiences, learning about the artists involved and making sure they catch their next projects.
“You guys make clarity an art form.”
– Ralph Alan Cohen,